qemu-discuss

Re: Trying to get to a qemu guest from it's host. (George R Goffe)

From: Ottavio Caruso
Subject: Re: Trying to get to a qemu guest from it's host. (George R Goffe)
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 09:03:28 +0100

On 18/09/2020 02:02, George R Goffe wrote:
Ottavio,

Thanks for your response.

Although this doc link you've provided is magnificent, it doesn't help me.
There's just too much information and too many undefined terms and too many
options (which ones do I need and which ones do I care nothing about?).

Here's my VM definition(?) from a script I put together to start the VM. The VM comes up
and is able to get to the internet just fine. The VM's ip address is 10.0.2.15 as the doc
states (due to no -nic statement I think). There are questions that I have that are
probably buried in the doc, both what you gave me and the tons and tons of doc in the
internet. I'm probably not searching with the "right" args.

So. Here's my situation:

The VM:

  qemu-system-x86_64 \
       -cdrom /isos/Fedora-Everything-netinst-x86_64-Rawhide-20200828.n.2.iso  \
       -cpu host \
       -enable-kvm \
       -m \
       -smp 2 \
       -drive file=/export/home/var-lib-libvirt-images/fc34-bt.img,format=raw  \
       -boot menu=on,reboot-timeout=15

I have a host at a local address of 10.28.0.2, it's a class C network behind a
firewall/router/dns/dhcp server.

My questions:

1) the VM doesn't seem to be able to "see" this network (10.28.0.0). How can I
make that happen?

2) the host can't "see" the VM or the 10.0.2.0 network. How can I make that
happen?

3) Since my router/firewall provides DHCP services, I want the VM to "talk" to
this server in order to get it's networking information.

What I'm looking for is a simple solution. Remember, I'm NOT a network admin.

The answer to your questions are in the documentation and you need to make a to effort to read it. In user mode networking, it is obvious that the VM cannot see your "real" network. You either poke a hole in the VM, for example using tcp redirection, or use tun/tap networking. Again, it's all in the docs and on the qemu website.

--
Ottavio Caruso