qemu-discuss

Re: Connection of a qemu guest to the 'net.

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: Connection of a qemu guest to the 'net.
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 10:35:27 +0000

On Tue, 16 Mar 2021 at 10:19, Berto Furth <bertofurth@sent.com> wrote:
> If you just want QEMU to do simple NAT between the guest and the "real"
> network then just use "SLIRP" as per
>
> https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Networking#User_Networking_.28SLIRP.29
>
> (I haven't tested it...I always use tap and bridging)

user-mode network works pretty well, but as the page notes it
does have disadvantages (worse performance, you can't connect to
the VM from outside without setting up specific port-forwarding,
etc). I use it a lot because it's handy for "start a one-off
QEMU instance for testing something" and you don't need to go
to the effort of setting up a bridge. For a "serious production"
VM you usually want to use the tap networking backend.

thanks
-- PMM