qemu-discuss

Facing permission denied issue when adding QEMU command line arguments i

From: Bilal Zahoor
Subject: Facing permission denied issue when adding QEMU command line arguments into the VM xml file
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2022 10:57:38 +0000

Dear Qemu Community,

Hope you are fine. We are facing permission issues when we have added the qemu command line arguments in
the vm xml file. Please find the attached vm xml file and the snap of permission issue.For quick reference please see below qemu command line arguments used in attached xml file.

<qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-chardev'/>
    <qemu:arg value='socket,id=charnet1,path=/tmp/sock-virtio0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-netdev'/>
    <qemu:arg value='vhost-user,chardev=charnet1,queues=16,id=hostnet1'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='virtio-net-pci,mq=on,vectors=6,netdev=hostnet1,id=net1,mac=e4:11: c6:d3:45:f2,bus=pci.0,addr=0x6, page-per-vq=on,rx_queue_size=1024,tx_queue_size=1024'/>
  </qemu:commandline>

if we dont pass these qemu command line arguments then VM is successfully launched but we dont get the virtio interface. Note here that we have tried this setup on multiple machines but getting same issue. All these configurations are done through super user. Please advise what we are missing and how to resolve this permission denied issue. Thanks.

With Regards,
Bilal.