qemu-discuss

Does QEMU TCG mode support running KVM inside the VM?

From: Kaifeng Xu
Subject: Does QEMU TCG mode support running KVM inside the VM?
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 17:22:46 -0400

Hi folks,
I am curious does whether QEMU TCG mode emulation support the VM to run KVM inside? I tried to run VM inside the QEMU VM, i.e. running L2 VM inside L1 VM on a host machine. This is not about enabling KVM for running QEMU KVM mode, I am working on the TCG mode to get some tracing, so I am focusing on whether TCG mode supports running KVM in the VM. I tried to launch another VM (L2 VM) inside the QEMU by KVM (the KVM is running in L1 VM), but it gets stuck at some point and was only able to launch into the maintenance mode in the L2 VM,

I got some warning about "TCG doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.01H:ECX.vmx", when I added "-cpu qemu64,+vmx" when I launch the VM in TCG mode. I am wondering does TCG support those vmx instructions?
Best,
Kaifeng