qemu-discuss

macos and german keyboards

From: Carlos Konstanski
Subject: macos and german keyboards
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 19:09:12 -0700

Problem with German keyboard mapping

Host: MacOS Monterey
Guest: Linux (Gentoo)

Full qemu command line:

sudo qemu-system-x86_64 \
    -name myvm \
    -k de \
    -vga virtio \
    -usb \
    -usbdevice tablet \
    -audiodev coreaudio,id=coreaudio \
    -device ich9-intel-hda \
    -device hda-output,audiodev=coreaudio \
    -nic vmnet-shared,mac=00:00:c0:a9:2c:0e \
    -netdev vmnet-shared,id=internal \
    -drive file="myvm.qcow2",if=virtio \
    -boot order=c \
    -m 8192 \
    -cpu Skylake-Client-noTSX-IBRS \
    -machine type=q35,accel=hvf \
    -smp maxcpus=4,cores=2,threads=2,sockets=1

The issue: German keyboards have an extra key which contains the
greater-than, less-than and pipe characters. I am passing `-k de` in
my qemu command line so that I can use a German keymap in the
guest. However the extra key is not being mapped. It does not even
return a code inside the guest. `showkey --scancodes` returns nothing
when this key is pressed in the guest.

I have googled for info. There is some discussion but no resolution
that I could find. So I am asking for help. Is there a solution, or
have I encountered a bug or incomplete implementation?