qemu-discuss

Timeout while bringing up ttyS0 in guest

From: Deepankar Sharma
Subject: Timeout while bringing up ttyS0 in guest
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 12:11:26 -0400

I am trying to boot a rocky linux 8 x64_64 guest on a debian host
using qemu using the following script.

qemu-system-x86_64 \
-enable-kvm -cpu host -m 4G -smp 2 \
-kernel bzImage \
-nodefaults -nographic -no-user-config \
-serial mon:stdio \
-append "nomodeset text console=ttyS0,115200 root=myfs rootfstype=virtiofs rw" \
-object memory-backend-memfd,id=mem,size=4G,share=on \
-numa node,memdev=mem \
-chardev socket,id=char0,path=/tmp/vhostqemu \
-device vhost-user-fs-pci,chardev=char0,tag=myfs

On boot I get the following message
[ *** ] A start job is running for dev-ttyS0.device (58s / 1min 30s)

Eventually it fails with
[ TIME ] Timed out waiting for device dev-ttyS0.device.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Serial Getty on ttyS0.

If I remove the following lines, the login screen shows up in the qemu
gui window and I am able to login.
-nodefaults -nographic -no-user-config \
-serial mon:stdio \
console=ttyS0,115200

Any pointers on whether I need to do some setup on the host or the
guest for ttyS0 to come up on the guest?

Regards,
Deepankar