qemu-discuss

QEMU built-in RAM block device

From: Валентин
Subject: QEMU built-in RAM block device
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 21:02:40 +0300

Hello and thank you for QEMU!
Could someone point me to right direction, is there a RAM block device in QEMU?

I'd like to create temporary RAM drive – without formatting or anything, just simply mount piece of memory as HDD, similarly to raw img files.
So that guest would see it as normal physical disk.

I tried:
-object memory-backend-ram,size=32M,id=m0 -device ide-hd,drive=m0

But it obviously does not work.

It could be useful for users without root privileges who are not able to mount system-wide RAM disk and put Qcow image there.

Thanks in advance,
Valentine.