qemu-discuss

Fedora vm freeze on KVM - kernel version Linux 4.18.0-408.el8.x86_64 x86

From: Shrey Chauhan
Subject: Fedora vm freeze on KVM - kernel version Linux 4.18.0-408.el8.x86_64 x86_64
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 12:13:05 +0000

Hi,

I am struggling with an issue for some time now, and still not able to figure out what the issue is
My setup:
Host kernel - Linux 4.18.0-408.el8.x86_64 x86_64
Host OS - Centos 8 stream

Running KVM, and openstack on a 3 node cluster, I have a vm running on KVM outside openstack as well. Few windows vms running on kvm through openstack as well.
VM running outside openstack on KVM is Fedora 28

The setup works all well in case of no IO or no load.
Once I start certain workload on my windows vm or fedora vms. The vms start to freeze over a span of a week. Mostly the Fedora vms which are running outside openstack, but sometimes even windows vm running on openstack freeze.

Attaching the virt xml of the fedora vm.

One thing to note is, this occurs only on systems with lesser memory I have seen this issue on hosts running 96G and even 128G. If hosts has large memory it works fine, host 192G worked fine for me. Because of this fact my focus has always been on memory. But everytime I check memory on the Host, there is plenty of free memory on the host. Another thing is the fedora vm has direct disk passthrough, I am not sure if that has something to do with this. I have tried reading the logs but nothing conclusive there.

Is this some known issue? Am I missing a driver here. Let me know if any other information is needed

If any one has observed this, please let me know. Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks,
Shrey
The information contained in this transmission may be confidential. Any disclosure, copying, or further distribution of confidential information is not permitted unless such privilege is explicitly granted in writing by Quantum. Quantum reserves the right to have electronic communications, including email and attachments, sent across its networks filtered through security software programs and retain such messages in order to comply with applicable data security and retention requirements. Quantum is not responsible for the proper and complete transmission of the substance of this communication or for any delay in its receipt.