qemu-ppc

Re: Deprecate the ppc405 boards in QEMU?

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: Deprecate the ppc405 boards in QEMU?
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 17:04:58 +0200

On 20/10/2021 16.55, BALATON Zoltan wrote:
On Wed, 20 Oct 2021, Thomas Huth wrote:
On 20/10/2021 14.43, Cédric Le Goater wrote:

The 405 machine are still close to deprecation I think. We are still
struggling to boot one with mainline Linux, using uboot provided by
Thomas which skips SDRAM init. It is not clear to me if u-boot is
strictly necessary. It depends if Linux relies on it to do some
pre-initialization of HW. I guess once we find a good DTS for it, or
not, we can take a decision.

FWIW, seems like this tarball contains a dts for a "taihushui" 405ep board:

https://dev.archive.openwrt.org/raw-attachment/ticket/4153/kolsch.tranzeo.openwrt.bsp.tar.bz2

... I wonder whether that's the same board as the "taihu" board in QEMU?

The corresponding ticket has some info on the machine:

https://dev.archive.openwrt.org/ticket/4153.html

Ok, so as far as I got that now, Taihu was a board by AMCC, while Taihushui was from Tranzeo ? ... so they were likely different boards, I think.

I wonder what ref405ep was then, an earlier or later or different version?

According to hw/ppc/ppc405_boards.c, the ref405ep machine was a reference board by IBM, not from AMCC ?

 Thomas