qemu-s390x

Re: Call for GSoC and Outreachy project ideas for summer 2022

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: Call for GSoC and Outreachy project ideas for summer 2022
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 14:12:51 +0000

On Thu, 17 Feb 2022 at 18:24, Thomas Huth <thuth@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 28/01/2022 16.47, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> > Dear QEMU, KVM, and rust-vmm communities,
> > QEMU will apply for Google Summer of Code 2022
> > (https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/) and has been accepted into
> > Outreachy May-August 2022 (https://www.outreachy.org/). You can now
> > submit internship project ideas for QEMU, KVM, and rust-vmm!
> >
> > If you have experience contributing to QEMU, KVM, or rust-vmm you can
> > be a mentor. It's a great way to give back and you get to work with
> > people who are just starting out in open source.
> >
> > Please reply to this email by February 21st with your project ideas.
>
> I'd like to suggest an idea (shamelessly "inspired" by Philippe's suggestion
> last year):
>
> === Improve s390x (IBM Z) emulation with RISU ===

> RISU (Random Instruction Sequence generator for Userspace testing) is a tool
> for testing CPU instructions with randomly generated opcodes. The goal of
> this project is to adapt the RISU framework for the IBM Z architecture
> (a.k.a. s390x), so that it could be used to test the s390x emulation of QEMU
> for correctness. This will certainly help to spot some instruction emulation
> deficiencies in QEMU which should be addressed during this internship, too.
>
> '''Links:'''
> * [https://git.linaro.org/people/peter.maydell/risu.git/tree/
>     Peter Maydell's RISU repository]
> * [https://www.linux-kvm.org/images/6/63/01x03-ValidatingTCG.pdf
>     KVM Forum 2014 presentation by Alex Bennée]
> * [http://publibfp.dhe.ibm.com/epubs/pdf/a227832c.pdf
>     z/Architecture Principles of Operation] (the description
>     of the CPU instructions)
>
> '''Details:'''
> * Skill level: intermediate (a good basic understanding of CPU
>    instructions is required)
> * Language: C, Perl
> * Mentor: Thomas Huth (thuth@redhat.com) (+1 TBD)
>

> What do you think about that idea?

That is a great project idea. I have added it to the wiki and expanded
the description a little to explain how RISU works:
https://wiki.qemu.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2022#Improve_s390x_.28IBM_Z.29_emulation_with_RISU

Please add proposed tasks to the description so applicants have a
starting point for breaking down the project into sub-tasks and coming
up with a schedule.

Thanks,
Stefan