qemu-trivial

Re: [Qemu-trivial] [Qemu-devel] Fix build break during configuration on

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-trivial] [Qemu-devel] Fix build break during configuration on musl-libc based Linux systems.
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 17:15:34 +0000

On 17 February 2017 at 16:54, Chad Joan <address@hidden> wrote:
> so if we can test and
> approve even /some/ of the more popular mail clients (ex: gmail,
> thunderbird, outlook, etc) for use, it would help newbies A LOT.

Pretty sure we've seen mangled emails from all of those.
The problem is that most email clients will automatically
wrap long lines, which is fine for text but breaks an
inline patch. Changing trailing whitespace in patches is
also a common issue.

The documentation in "git help format-patch" has a section
"MUA-SPECIFIC HINTS" which says that gmail's web interface
is definitely no good, and Thunderbird defaults to the wrong
thing and requires a bunch of config changes which you'd then
have to switch back to your preferences for normal mail when
you're done sending patches. Outlook is so hopeless for
patch mail it isn't even listed :-)

The kernel docs have a longer list of mail clients with
notes about suitability:
https://kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/email-clients.html
but the set of "just works" clients is very small.

thanks
-- PMM