qemu-trivial

Re: [Qemu-trivial] [Qemu-devel] Fix build break during configuration on

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-trivial] [Qemu-devel] Fix build break during configuration on musl-libc based Linux systems.
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2017 12:12:21 +0000

On 19 February 2017 at 07:22, Chad Joan <address@hidden> wrote:
> I suspect I'm going to encounter this problem again as I try to make small
> fixes for more projects, so it might be worth it for me to spend a small
> amount of time at some point setting up a mail client that I can send git
> patches with.  Or perhaps I can just move the patch(es) onto another machine
> (ex: my personal laptop) and send it with 'git send-email' from there,
> instead of needing to install a mail client that is outside of my normal
> workflow.  I am not comfortable with putting smtp login information onto the
> server that I am using for this work.

Yes, I'd do that. If you do git format-patch on one machine you can
then copy the patch files onto another where you do git send-email
(my workflow actually involves something similar to this).

Or if the machine you're running on is a server with limited
development facilities you might prefer to do development
entirely on a different machine and then on the server
just do a git fetch or git pull from the git tree on your
development machine to build it. (I do this when I'm doing
build tests, since there usually isn't a nice dev environment
with my preferred editor and tools and so on on the test
machine.) Then your patches are all on the dev machine to
start with.

thanks
-- PMM