qemu-trivial

Re: [Xen-devel] [PULL v2 0/3] Trivial branch patches

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [PULL v2 0/3] Trivial branch patches
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2019 16:05:08 +0000

On Tue, 5 Nov 2019 at 20:06, Laurent Vivier <address@hidden> wrote:

> Le 05/11/2019 à 20:20, address@hidden a écrit :
> > Patchew URL: https://patchew.org/QEMU/address@hidden/
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > This series seems to have some coding style problems. See output below for
> > more information:
> >
> > Subject: [Xen-devel] [PULL v2 0/3] Trivial branch patches
> > Type: series
> >
> > === TEST SCRIPT BEGIN ===
> > #!/bin/bash
> > git rev-parse base > /dev/null || exit 0
> > git config --local diff.renamelimit 0
> > git config --local diff.renames True
> > git config --local diff.algorithm histogram
> > ./scripts/checkpatch.pl --mailback base..
> > === TEST SCRIPT END ===
> >
> > Switched to a new branch 'test'
> > 49a55f7 global: Squash 'the the'
> > c0b5513 hw/misc/grlib_ahb_apb_pnp: Fix 8-bit accesses
> > eb43395 hw/misc/grlib_ahb_apb_pnp: Avoid crash when writing to PnP registers
> >
> > === OUTPUT BEGIN ===
> > 1/3 Checking commit eb43395bf8f1 (hw/misc/grlib_ahb_apb_pnp: Avoid crash
> > when writing to PnP registers)
> > 2/3 Checking commit c0b5513f971a (hw/misc/grlib_ahb_apb_pnp: Fix 8-bit
> > accesses)
> > 3/3 Checking commit 49a55f7feb19 (global: Squash 'the the')
> > ERROR: do not use C99 // comments
> > #26: FILE: disas/libvixl/vixl/invalset.h:105:
> > +  // Note that this does not mean the backing storage is empty: it can
> > still
>
> As reported by David Gilbert, this is a false positive as this file is a
> C++ file.

True, but it's also a third-party dependency that we have
taken a copy of. If we care about fixing its typos in comments
we should do that by submitting the fixes upstream. We should
avoid making changes to our local copy of this code because
it just makes it unnecessarily more difficult to do updates to
newer versions.

Could you drop that change, please? (Sorry I didn't notice
it going by when the patch was originally on list.)

thanks
-- PMM