qpimd-users

Re: [qpimd-users] pimd static igmp join problems

From: Everton Marques
Subject: Re: [qpimd-users] pimd static igmp join problems
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 11:29:27 -0200

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 12:19 AM, Klemen <address@hidden> wrote:

Question1:
 If I add static igmp joins to pimd config file, multicast does not work.
 If I add static igmp joins using vty, multicast start working?
 Can anyone explain me that, please?

This is a known bug. See T42 in the TODO file. (http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/qpimd.git/tree/pimd/TODO?h=pim)

Question2:
 Why do I have to add static joins on both interfaces for multicast to start
working? Shouldn't be join on eth0 enough?

Yes, I think so. Can you collect the troubleshooting commands below for the 3 cases?

Cases:
1) static join only on eth0
2) static join only on eth1
3) static join on both eth0 and eth1

Troubleshooting commands:

! On last-hop router (attached to mcast receiver)
!
show ip mroute (kernel mcast cache is correct?)
show ip pim upstream (we joined our upstream?)
show ip pim neighbor (upstream is neighbor?)
show ip pim interface (pim enabled on both receiver interface and
upstream interface?)
show ip igmp sources (receiver joined on interface?)
show ip igmp interface (igmp enabled on receiver interface?)
show ip multicast (multicast enabled at all?)
show ip rib SRC (unicast route towards sorce?)

! On first-hop router (attached to mcast source)
!
show ip mroute (kernel mcast cache is correct?)
show ip pim join (downstream joined us?)
show ip pim neighbor (downstream is neighbor?)
show ip pim interface (pim enabled on interfaces?)
show ip multicast (multicast enabled at all?)
show ip rib SRC (unicast route towards sorce?)

Question3:
 Do I have to use static joins with pimd, or is there a way so I do not have
to? Forwarding of any-source group is not implemented, so probably not?

To get rid of the static join, you need a receiver application capable of issuing IGMPv3 source-specific joins.
Don't know whether mreceive/mcfirst supports IGMPv3.
The VLC player can do this.
Nepim (http://www.nongnu.org/nepim/) is a traffic testing tool which can issue IGMPv3 source-specific joins.

Question4:
 Is it possible to change pimd configuration in runtime by not using telnet
to 2611? For example, to be able to do it from a script?

Can't you use the vtysh tool?
Another option is to change the config file and restart the pimd daemon. But then, watch out for bug T42.
I don't think there is other way.

Question5:
 Should I enable ip forwarding and interface multicast in zebra config?

I don't think so. I never did. :-)

Question6:
 Does anyone see what am I doing wrong here???

I think your config looks good.

Can you share which qpimd/quagga versions are you using?

If you managed to build qpimd for current quagga, I'd ask you to share the patch. ;-)

Cheers,
Everton