quilt-dev

Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch v2 12/26] Man page: update internal and external

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch v2 12/26] Man page: update internal and external cross-references
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 11:38:06 -0500

Hi Jean,

At 2022-07-26T14:43:20+0200, Jean Delvare wrote:
> Embolden internal subsection reference, and refer to its parent
> section.

In the groff man pages I do not use boldface for section or subsection
cross references; instead I use simple quotation (that is, I surround
the (sub)section title with \[lq] and \[rq] special character escape
sequences to get "typographer's quotes" where possible).  Just FYI; you
may not want to join this convention.  I have been strongly tempted to
add a "Q" macro to groff_man(7) to make this and other uses of quotation
easier.

> Sort man page cross-reference list in alphabetical order.

In the past 4-5 years I have come to no longer endorse this practice, at
least not when done robotically.

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-man/a2009ae6-7f51-f7c5-e108-f0c89a17a963@gmail.com/T/#md95904290a511f674762328f22813aa891e67978

However, if the man pages listed are co-equal in relevance and
importance, alphabetical order does no harm.

Regards,
Branden