ranger-users

Re: [Ranger-users] Viewer and special characters

From: Oliver Weidner
Subject: Re: [Ranger-users] Viewer and special characters
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 13:42:17 +0200

Hi,

2011/7/22 Jostein Berntsen <address@hidden>:
> In the Ranger preview window it seems like the Scandinavian æ, ø and å
> characters is not
> displayed correctly. F.ex. a word like "Følge" is displayed as "FM-CM-8lge".
> My
> locale is:
>
> LANG=no_NO.utf8
> LC_CTYPE=nb_NO.UTF-8
> LC_NUMERIC="no_NO.utf8"
> LC_TIME="no_NO.utf8"
> LC_COLLATE=no_NO
> LC_MONETARY="no_NO.utf8"
> LC_MESSAGES=no_NO.UTF-8
> LC_PAPER="no_NO.utf8"
> LC_NAME="no_NO.utf8"
> LC_ADDRESS="no_NO.utf8"
> LC_TELEPHONE="no_NO.utf8"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="no_NO.utf8"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="no_NO.utf8"
> LC_ALL=

In my ranger "Følge" is displayed correctly both in preview (as simple
text in a file) and as a filename.

My locale is:
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

But if your locale is correct in other applications I doubt that this
is the cause.

> Is there anything that can be done to correct this?

Are Scandinavian words displayed correctly in your terminal? (E.g.
using "ls" showing a file named "Følge" and then using ranger to show
it. The same with some text in a file).

Do you use screen? It can have massive impact on localization related problems.

How is your ncurses compiled? Maybe without unicode support? The same
is for screen (if you use it).

cu,

Oliver