Re: Version Woes

From: Otto Kekäläinen
Subject: Re: Version Woes
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2020 14:35:32 +0300

Hello!

> My central rdiff-backup server has version 1.9.1b0. Now I need to backup a
> Debian system and this system and even the latest (
> https://packages.debian.org/buster/rdiff-backup ) uses 1.2.8-7.

Versions 1.4.x and 1.9.x are pre-releases of version 2.0.0. This was
not that well communicated. In future the development releases will be
more clear about what they are development versions for, e.g.
2.0.1~pre1 or 2.1.0~beta2 etc. Exact suffix I don't think has been
decided yet (it is not at least documented in
https://github.com/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup/blob/master/docs/DEVELOP.md#versioning
yet) but the prefix will be marking what it is a dev version for.

So, if anybody is running 1.4.x or 1.9.x somewhere, please uninstall
it. Don't run development releases in production, that is just asking
for trouble. Please use the official 2.0.0 release instead.

I also noticed that our README has an error, it recommended people to
install development versions without proper warnings. This is now
addressed in the PR at
https://github.com/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup/pull/325/files

- Otto