Question around of remote description

From: Eric L. Zolf
Subject: Question around of remote description
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 08:15:49 +0200

Hi,

in the course of the review of PR #404 we came to challenge the quite
complex quoting rules allowed when you backup to/from a remote location.

Our question is if anybody is relying on those (too) complex quoting
rules to make their backup work? Else it'll allow us to radically
simplify the code.

More details: if you backup to/from a remote site, the description is of
the form `host::path` (e.g. `rdiff-backup /home
myuser@myhost::/srv/backup/homebak`), and the current quoting allows to
have the double colons (::) somewhere in the `host` or `path` part of
the remote description. And the question is if anybody knows of a
concrete use case for this possibility?

For even more gory details, the man page states the quoting rules in the
REMOTE OPERATION section.

Thanks, Eric

PS: and yes, double colons are a valid POSIX path part (`touch ::`
works), but who really needs it?

https://github.com/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup/pull/404