Re: File Formats

From: Reio Remma
Subject: Re: File Formats
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 09:40:50 +0200

On 25.03.2021 09:29, reg.rdiff_backup@excel4x.com wrote:
I just heard about rdiff-backup and I'm planning how to configure it.

The documentation says:
"Earlier states of your files are saved just by 1) keeping a copy of them,
2) in diff form as produced by rdiff, or 3) as a gzipped version of 1 or 2."

I see the --no-compression option to disable compression. However I do not
see an option to produce copies of older files vs. storing them in rdiff
format. How is the file format for older files controlled?

Thanks much!

Hello and welcome!

I don't think it matters to you - it should be just a description of how rdiff-backup handles file history internally.

--no-compression should disable compression of older files when a newer snapshot is created. It's sometimes useful to disable compression because gzip is rather CPU hungry and depending on files it can make the backup take a long time.

All the best,
Reio