Re: rdiff vs etckeeper

From: Frank Crawford
Subject: Re: rdiff vs etckeeper
Date: Sun, 07 May 2023 17:18:09 +1000

On Sat, 2023-05-06 at 13:26 -0500, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> Looking at etckeeper to back up settings, it seems like it's
> redundant
> to use etckeeper then rdiff the git repo.  Would I be just as well
> off
> to just rdiff /etc?

I see them as having slightly different functions.  rdiff-backup is by
far the better way to perform backups, but etckeeper allows the use of
various tools such as tracking changes by updates, diffing them, even
the log information (did it come from a manual change, or an RPM
update).

In particular, because of the nature of changes to configuration files,
i.e. it is a more common and may have bigger effect than for most other
areas of the system, I find etckeeper very useful.

Regards
Frank