remotecommunication

Re: Success with GNU JAMI

From: Jim Garrett
Subject: Re: Success with GNU JAMI
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 11:56:29 -0400

That's great to hear! I think GNU Jami is among the easiest systems to configure and use, since it doesn't require an account with a central entity. Several years ago I tried it between cell phones and the audio volume was off somehow. I submitted a bug report but I haven't had a chance to test it out since--hopefully the bug has been fixed.

I suspect Jami would work well for small meetings but might not scale up to large meetings. That's no real criticism as they are very different use cases. I suspect Zoom handles the two use cases separately under the hood, but the user doesn't see it.

I'm sort of torn regarding which is easier to promote and use for small meetings, Jitsi or Jami. Jitsi doesn't require accounts or additional software (except on mobile). However, it requires permissions to use the camera and microphone, and my experience is someone has to poke it a bit and then it works. Jami works reliably see but requires software installation.

So if I want to invite 3 friends to a video chat, I could say, "Let me send you a link to a Jitsi meeting" or "Please install this software, it's ethical unlike all the other software people are asking you to install." I can see advantages to both. And it's great to have a choice!

Jim Garrett