remotecommunication

Re: Advice for online events

From: hw
Subject: Re: Advice for online events
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2020 14:12:47 +0200

On Sat, 2020-06-06 at 11:45 -0500, Ark wrote:
> I'm writing to the list to obtain guidance. First, ¿is there a more
> recommended VPS, or an alternative?. We really don't have the resources
> for
> our own machines and the university is in no position right now to
> provide
> them (the talks were made in company with the library, but they don't
> have
> the resources either). DigitalOcean has a problem; if we turn off the
> machines they still charge us. We can pay for a machine with the
> requirements for BBB, only by the hour, and only the big names like AWS,
> GCC or Azure seem to charge like that. We want to avoid especially those
> big companies.

I don't know what your requirements are in terms of server capabality and
internet connection.  If you can get an internet connection with a static
IP and sufficient bandwidth --- and maybe the library or the university can
provide that --- you could buy a used server off ebay and set it up
according to your needs.  Get at least a HP Gen7 or newer unless power
consumption is not an issue, and it might be better to use Dell because HP
doesn't allow you to get firmware updates anymore.  Do not buy a single CPU
machine; get two CPUs.

If you want to rent a server, you can check out
https://www.strato.es/vps-linux/ .

The whole university can't even spare a VM even for a limited time on one
of their servers?