remotecommunication

Advice for online events

From: Ark
Subject: Advice for online events
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2020 19:12:26 -0500

Hi list,

A small update about my mail.

We started with our online events last week. As I mentioned, most people in the group are learning about virtual communication and free software. They're from other areas than computing, like medicine, physics, etc. I'm the only computer engineer there.

We decided to use, temporarily, the BBB instances provided by scaleway until late july. It's a way for all of us to learn about the dynamics of virtual events, and to improve. Initially, in the first event we just invited around 10 people. For the next topic, we'll invite a couple more to receive feedback, and we'll do that until we're satisfied. I'd guess we'll need just a couple of iterations.

In the next few weeks I'll follow your advice and find a bare metal server to rent and use the BBB scripts to install the server before events. I have to applaud the guests and the invited experts for their compromise with free technologies and I want to thank you all for your kind advice.

There were some troubles. BBB has no native Android client. That can be a good thing, but has its downsides. For example, some people have really old cheap devices with old versions of their browsers, with not much disk space to update. The BBB mobile client does not work there. Other person had a really poor internet connection, so the sound quality was bad. And for some reason, since Wednesday the Scaleway instance had some issues, so people had to refresh the site a couple of times for it to work. It was weird. Anyway, our balance of the tool was good, and we believe next time it will be better.

Thanks again.