repo-criteria-discuss

Github and two-factor authentication

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Github and two-factor authentication
Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 19:35:43 -0400

https://it.slashdot.org/story/22/05/04/2028211/github-will-require-all-code-contributors-to-use-2fa
says that Github will require two-fuctor authentication.

That's not inherently bad, and in the absence of injustice it could be
a good thing.  However, in practice it is seems often to be
implemented by imposing a choice of injustice A, injustice B or
injustice C.  For instance, requiring the user to run nonfree
Javascript or other nonfree software.  Or requiring the user to have a
mobile phone.

Can people please see what methods GitHub allows, and whether any of
them is acceptable?

GitHub already gets a failing grade for requiring nonfree JS code to
create an account.  According to my memory, it doesn't require nonfree
JS code for usage once the account exists.  That's where this change
could make GitHub quantitatively much worse.