reproduce-devel

[task #15725] gcc-0.9.2 install crash

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [task #15725] gcc-0.9.2 install crash
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2020 17:36:03 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #2, task #15725 (project reproduce):

Thanks for posting this Boud, what is the version of the running GCC and the C
library?

My own OS is ArchLinux and recently when my compiler and GNU C Library was
updated, I also can't build GCC on my host!

As you say, I think this is a bug in the most recent GCCs. The strange thing
is that my new host compiler and C library cause problem in other higher-level
programs is well! It doesn't cause a problem in the programs I need in my
projects, but I noticed this with the '--all-highlevel' option.

At least in ArchLinux, the GCC and the GNU C Library haven't been updated in
the base package manager and you can't downgrade the C Library easily
(everything depend on it!).

One solution is to use the '--host-cc' option and if the high-level programs
you need don't have a trouble you can use it until the host GCC and GNU C
Library are updated on the host OS.

In my case (to be able to test things properly), this problem was one of the
reasons I started working on the Docker images: to be able to compile GCC!
Maneage can easily be built with a Docker image following the instructions
here:

https://gitlab.com/makhlaghi/maneage-paper#building-in-docker-containers

I will shortly merge this into the README.md of the core Maneage branch ;-).

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15725>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/