reproduce-devel

[bug #63043] cmake build rule uses host liblzma.so and other host librar

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [bug #63043] cmake build rule uses host liblzma.so and other host libraries
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 11:26:58 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #3, bug #63043 (project reproduce):

I had a look in my build logs for CMake (it has always been bothering us in
Maneage from the day it was inserted! Anytime someone asks me what is the
worst software you have confronted, I always immediately say CMake! It doesn't
even need thinking! But any way, let's get to the main point...).

When I searched for `liblzma.so`, it only shows my host's
'/usr/lib/liblzma.so'! In fact, this happens for almost the libraries that it
links against! The only one that it uses Maneage's own build is 'libcurl.so'!

However, when I was searching Maneage's installed library in the logs, I
noticed something interesting: besides 'libcurl', it only occurs in the RPATH
command ('-Wl,-rpath-link=/BDIR/software/installed/lib').

So it actually links with my operating system's 'liblzma.so', 'libz.so' and
etc, but it only put's Maneage's library location in RPATH! Therefore, the
reason I don't get a crash is that my operating system's liblzma.so and
libz.so and etc are compatible with Maneage's.

This leak had indeed passed through our fingers and we had missed it! This is
just bad design on CMake's side!

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?63043>

Message sent via Savannah
https://savannah.nongnu.org/