reproduce-devel

[bug #63043] cmake build rule uses host liblzma.so and other host librar

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [bug #63043] cmake build rule uses host liblzma.so and other host libraries
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 12:36:23 -0400 (EDT)

Update of bug #63043 (project reproduce):

             Assigned to:                    None => boud

Follow-up Comment #7:

Thanks a lot for the complete analysis of the situation! I hadn't noticed the
'git clone' parts! Probably they are used when they decided to update those
software and build new CMake tarballs, not when building from a pre-built
tarball.

> My guess is that cmake will only do de_compression, not compression.

I agree! Probably as far as we are concerned (in Maneage's software building),
those libraries won't be necessary at all (we de-compress the tarball before
calling CMake). It probably needs these because CMake is a very non-modular
and monolithic software: probably it also generates tarballs or
uploads/downloads components and needs these for those scenarios. These are
most probably not things that a Maneager would need in their analysis!

> I have no idea if cmake rules can have the effect of using cmake as a binary
front end to _curl.

Since it does a static build to the cURL library, I probably CMake won't be
using the 'curl' binary program.

> If problems do occur, then people using packages that depend on cmake will
have to re-open this bug, or open a related one and propose a more robust
solution.

I agree! But I recommend that they do the second option (open a new bug) for
their unique situation (generally, its not a good idea to re-vitalize closed
bugs, its better to cite the closed bug in the new bug instead).

> So I'm fine with --no-system-libs and the LaTeX target something like:
"CMake $(cmake-version) (with internal libraries distributed in Utilities/cm*
in tarball)".

Great! Can you commit this so I merge your commit into the core branch? Even
though it is a very small fix and I can do it pretty fast, its good that this
be in your name (who found, contributed to the fix and confirmed the fix; in
other words, done all the hard work!).

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?63043>

Message sent via Savannah
https://savannah.nongnu.org/