Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Aim to be a real free software engineer

From: Nala Ginrut
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Aim to be a real free software engineer
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2021 11:45:32 +0800

Hi Aisuko!
I' m glad to see your hacker spirit! I've been similar for decade, and I
always feel better when I was wired in hacking, learning, and programming.

Here is my suggestions, and you may consider it in your own free will.

1. Find a project to contribute, continuously, for years. This may help you
to understand the project deeper. And you have enough time to make friends
in the community, this is important to help you to connect to free software
people. Don't be alone, connect to people.

2. Help people around you in real life to try free software. If you have a
small group to use free software, then create small LAN party every week.
This can help you bring free software to real life, and no one can stop you
from enjoying it if it become your life style.

3. GNU operating system was designed to use Scheme for its extension. You
may see many projects are doing that, Guile, Guix, and GNU Artanis
maintained by me, etc. So I'd recommend you learn Scheme as well. And SICP
would be a good start.

Finally, nice to see your hacker spirit. And welcome to the family.

Best regards.