Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Scope of backward compatibility

From: Ineiev
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Scope of backward compatibility
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 13:37:50 +0000

On Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 07:27:51PM +0900, Jing Luo wrote:
> Let me clarify. My point was that it's not worth your effort to support old
> PHP versions that are already not supported by PHP's developers.

And I made a point that it is, and I've seen no counter-arguments.

> Do FSF admins "want" to upgrade the VMs or do they want to stay on old
> distros?

They do upgrade them (BTW at least part of that work is done
by Savannah volunteers rather than FSF staff).

> > These days, to continue to support old PHP versions is incomparably
> > easier than to support the new releases, so we'll gain little if we
> > stop supporting them.
>
> By all means, drop support for PHP 8.2 :)

I'm sorry, I don't understand.

> > The most important "downstream" are private local instances
> > of testers. for example, occasionally I run Savane on a machine
> > that simply can't boot Trisquel 9.
>
> That's unfortunate. Are you unable to acquire a no non-free firmware machine
> that works with newer versions of Trisquel?

The reasons don't matter. what matters is, quite a few more
man-hours were contributed to Savane because it could run
on top of older releases of its dependencies.

> My mistake. This [1] is probably something else.

That file does nothing substantial. the feature needs more.

After a closer look, I admit that Sergey's version may support
it to some degree, but I see no relevant controls in my Puszcza
package.