savannah-hackers

[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of TRAMP (Transparent Re

From: Kai . Grossjohann
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of TRAMP (Transparent Remote (file) Access,
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 05:33:55 -0400

Kai Großjohann <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: TRAMP (Transparent Remote (file) Access,
System name: tramp
This package wants to apply for inclusion in the GNU project

Tramp (Transparent Remote Access Multiple Protocol) is an Emacs Lisp package
which allows access to remote files, in a fashion similar to the well-known
ange-ftp.  But whereas ange-ftp uses ftp to access the files, Tramp allows a
number of methods, all based on shell access.  Basically, if you can get a
shell prompt on the remote host, you can use Tramp.  The shell prompt is always
used for filename completion and the like.  The actual file contents can also
be transferred through this shell connection (uuencode or base64 encoded, I
call this \"inline\"), or it can be transferred by another program such as rcp,
scp, rsync (I call it \"out of band\").

Tramp currently has a SourceForge page at http://sf.net/projects/tramp/
I would like to move the project to Savannah to facilitate integration into
Emacs.

Other Software Required:
Emacs (or XEmacs)
a program for login on other hosts (telnet, rsh, ssh, ...)
on the remote host: uuencode or mimencode
or a working rcp or scp or rsync.

Other Comments: