savannah-hackers

Re: [Savannah-hackers] Savannah situation

From: Bradley M. Kuhn
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Savannah situation
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 18:26:56 -0500

Rudy Gevaert wrote:

> It's indeed unfortunate that the (other) Savannah-hackers weren't
> included in bringing Savannah back up.

I want to be clear that (as you know) Savannah is not back up yet, and of
course we are including you in bringing it back up.  Paul and Jim have
been working only on securing the system layer and getting it ready for
all of you to put the savannah software back in place.

We wouldn't know how to bring that part back up; you are the folks that
know how the savannah software works and how to make it work.  We need
you to make savannah happen!

> Will it still work with the different setup?

I believe it will, but if you see anything in the security changes that
will cause trouble, please tell us.  That's why I asked Paul to vet them
past all of you to be sure that the savannah software could still work in
the various chroot's, etc.

> I very interested to learn what has been done, and how it has been done.

Have you seen Paul's post?  Have you had a chance to log into the system
(Paul restored most of the SSH keys today -- should have been done a long
time ago, sorry.  If yours isn't there for some reason, let us know on the
#savannah channel in the morning (EST) and we'll get it up!

> When the Savannah is installed again, users will have have to reregister
> again.  What with projects?  Will they have to be imported again?  Or
> will we put the the projects that replied already back ourselves?

Certainly, we need people to register again because we need to be sure
that we have a good SSHv2 key for them.  (Most users were using SSHv1
keys before, and even those who had SSHv2 keys installed, we'd certainly
like them to think twice about their personal security).

As for projects, I don't know of any particular reason we'd have to
reregister each one.  What do you all (the savannah hackers) think is the
best?  How would you (the savannah hackers) like to handle it?

One thing we will need to do is reimport some RCS files into the CVS
trees, as some folks have been working independently on their RCS files
while savannah was down.  IIRC, you all do this by hand, right?  Any
ideas on how we can make the process smooth?

--
Bradley M. Kuhn, Executive Director
Free Software Foundation   |  Phone: +1-617-542-5942