savannah-hackers

[Savannah-hackers] submission of MiMMS isn't an MMS Message Sender - sav

From: wjl
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of MiMMS isn't an MMS Message Sender - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 12:34:14 -0500

Wesley J. Landaker <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: MiMMS isn't an MMS Message Sender
System name: mimms
Type: non-GNU

MiMMS (formerly known as mmsclient) is a simple command-line client to download
streaming audio and/or video media from the internet using the MMS (this refers
to mms:// URL's -- not the MMS related to SMS) protocol. Downloaded media
streams are saved as normal media files that can then be replayed offline at
your leisure, using any compatible media player of your choice (i.e. mplayer,
xine, etc).

The original source for mmsclient is:
http://www.geocities.com/majormms/mms_client-0.0.3.tar.gz

In the process of packaging this software for Debian GNU/Linux, I have had no
luck over the course of several months to contact the original author (who
leaves no contact information whatsoever on his web page or in the package) so
I and several other users I've spoken with decided to take over maintenence of
the software. (Of course, the software is released under the GNU GPL, so this
is perfectly legitimate. =) To avoid confusion with another project called
"mmsclient" (on sourceforge) that uses a different MMS protocol (related to SMS
for mobile phones), I decided to rename this MiMMS (MiMMS isn't an MMS Message
Sender ;).

Other Software Required:

Other Comments:

  Message sent via/by Savannah