savannah-hackers

[sr #110299] minor typo submits unfinished bug report

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: [sr #110299] minor typo submits unfinished bug report
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2020 01:34:09 -0400 (EDT)

Hello Dave,

I am sorry that you were surprised by this behavior.  However frankly I am
surprised that you were surprised by it!  This is the standard behavior of the
web since forever.  It has always been this way for literally all of the
decades of the web.  I didn't look but I would be surprised if Mosaic was not
where this behavior started.  I am surprised you have not noticed this before
everywhere.  It is considered important for accessibility.  It is part of the
web standard.  Therefore I don't see any way that it could be disabled as a
default.  Guaranteed if that behavior were disabled we would very quickly have
a hundred people mad at us and a few bug submissions pointing out how we had
broken the web.  It's called "implicit submission" for a search term to find
more information about it.

Also, this behavior is really a behavior of your web browser on your client
side.  Although I do know it is possible to break this behavior using specific
HTML or Javascript on the web site side I know that the default is that web
browsers are where the Enter is tasked with form submission.  Therefore if you
really want to change this behavior then the way to do so is to customize your
browser to prevent it.  Maybe you could find a plugin for your web browser
that would allow you to disable this?

But in any case consider users with accessibility needs that prevent them from
being able to see the pointer position preventing them from using the mouse at
all.  Since implicit submission is required in that case it is strongly
recommended.  From the HTML5 specification:

https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/form-control-infrastructure.html#implicit-submission

"There are pages on the Web that are only usable if there is a way to
implicitly submit forms, so user agents [browsers] are strongly encouraged to
support this."

This is why all web browsers do this by default.  And having been this way
forever it is really a default expected behavior.  Changing this would be like
changing which side of the road cars drive upon.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?110299>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/