savannah-hackers

[sr #110723] Broken git remote HEAD

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: [sr #110723] Broken git remote HEAD
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 13:08:21 -0400 (EDT)

Update of sr #110723 (project administration):

             Assigned to:                    None => rwp

Follow-up Comment #1:

Are these newly set up repositories?  I think they must be.

The "git init" command defaults to "master" for the default branch.  This init
happens on the server side and at this moment there is no control in place for
project members to specify anything other than the upstream git init default
when creating a new repository.  That would be possible but it would need
someone to do some hacking on it in order to implement it and that has not yet
happened.

It appears that these repositories were created with the defaults and then a
branch was pushed upstream and that branch was called "primary".  This does
not change the default branch.  It simply uploads an additional branch.

There have been many articles of documentation written recently about how to
command git to change the default branch.  Apologies for not having the time
at this moment to go find one and reference it but let me say that there are
recipes available for switching the default branch name from master to other
names.

It is also okay to ask us to help with branch name changes.  We are happy to
help.  But this is simply standard git operation and standard git
documentation is available for it.

I manually switched the git HEAD for you from "master" to "primary" for these
two repositories.

Try a pristine git clone now and the default branch for these two will be
"primary" as you desire.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?110723>

Message sent via Savannah
https://savannah.nongnu.org/