screen-devel

[screen-devel] [bug #39390] screen could play nicer with terminal scroll

From: Michael Grant
Subject: [screen-devel] [bug #39390] screen could play nicer with terminal scrollbars
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2020 17:21:12 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #1, bug #39390 (project screen):

Many ssh clients have a local scrollback feature (e.g. PuTTY).  Screen has no
notion of this buffer and that's fine.

However, when you switch from one screen to another, PuTTY's scrollback buffer
gets messy.

I would like a function which I could bind to a key to refresh window and the
local scrollback buffer.

This function should clear the current screen and then simply output the
contents of the scrollback buffer to the current screen.

I currently have a hack using the screen-exchange file and a shell script to
do this, but it loses any colored text.

Ideally it would be great to output the color codes so the local buffer's text
was again colored like it was when the commands were run.

The reason this is useful is that it's a lot easy to copypaste something that
is in my local scrollback buffer than it is to use Screen's editing mode.  In
fact, if I want to paste it locally, I don't know how to do that using
Screen's copy/scrollback mode.

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?39390>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.gnu.org/