screen-devel

[screen-devel] [bug #64254] Attach a screen sessoin without being forced

From: anonymous
Subject: [screen-devel] [bug #64254] Attach a screen sessoin without being forced to provide a password
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 22:09:16 -0400 (EDT)

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
                 Release: Cur Dev Sources
         Discussion Lock: Any
           Fixed Release: 5.0.0
         Planned Release: 5.0.0
           Work Required: None

Follow-up Comments:

Date: Fri 26 May 2023 02:09:14 AM UTC By: Anonymous
Dear screen maintainers & devs,

Thanks for maintaining GNU screen!

>From ChatGPT I learnt, that in "GNU Screen 4.99 (or current dev branch), the
ability to disable passwords was removed, and there is no straightforward
configuration option to achieve this. Password authentication is now enforced
by default in GNU Screen 4.99 and later versions."

I couldn't figure out a way using the docs to disable GNU screen's password
prompt when re-attaching a detached session.

My issue and my temporary workaround is described here:
https://marcgloor.github.io/gnuscreenpatch.html

Can you confirm that the ability to disable passwords was intentionally
removed? If so, I would request this option to be re-added to the program
logic again.

Thanks
Marc

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?64254>