Re: some screen windows freezing

From: Hauke Laging
Subject: Re: some screen windows freezing
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2020 01:26:59 +0100

Am 11.12.20 um 23:20 schrieb Michael Parson:

> What are you doing in those windows that freeze up?  What programs were
> runing?  Just sitting at a shell prompt?  An open editor session?

I have not documented those cases. I guess usually it is a shell prompt
but I cannot say for sure it is always that. Anyway, my screen windows
are at shell prompts most of the time so this is what you would expect
(if the problem is not caused by the program running within screen).

> Was
> that window local to your computer or had you ssh'd to a remote system?

Again, I cannot say for sure. Mostly it is beyond an SSH connection. But
again, most of my screen usage is via SSH so this would be expected even
if it is totally unrelated.

At least in the last cases the problem was not a general freeze of the
SSH connection. The other windows in the SSH screen session were responsive.

> Given that on US/QWERTY keyboards, the 'A' and 'S' keys are right next
> to each other, it is easy to accidentally hit ^S when reaching for ^A in
> screen.  You might have to also try ^A^Q to get the session to resume.

That has happened before. That's why I typed ^A-q. Should ^A^Q be any
different from that?

> I have had individual windows freeze up in ways that I wasn't able to
> fix with combos of those key sequences and wind up having to :kill that
> window, but I've also had pretty good luck unfreezing with ^Q and/or
> ^S^Q, and sometimes ':flow off'.

I forgot to mention that I tried ^A-f, too, and that it doesn't help either.

Hauke