Re: reading an environment variable from screen

From: Michael Grant
Subject: Re: reading an environment variable from screen
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 13:28:15 -0500

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 09:15:09AM -0800, Neal Fultz wrote:
> There is not a getenv command to match setenv iirc.
>
> There's a -Q flag for query - z=$(screen -S $STY -Q echo '$SSH_AUTH_SOCK')

Thanks, this is even closer.  z is being set, but it outputs something to
the screen which does go away after a few seconds.  Any idea how to
stop it from doing that?  I wonder if there's some code I could output
that turned off display output, did this command, then turn it back on
again?

I couldn't use this in an alias as it would disrupt the screen each
time I ran ssh or scp.  But it does get the necessary info.

Thomas, what you suggest, it's similar to the people who suggest symlinking
some known place to the /tmp folder and then setting that in the environment.
Here's a link to the superuser.com post about this:

https://superuser.com/questions/180148/how-do-you-get-screen-to-automatically-connect-to-the-current-ssh-agent-when-re

You're right, it works a most of the time.  Where it fails is if I log
in a second time from a different computer.  I was just looking to see
if I could fix that.

Michael