shopsuite-dev

[ShopSuite-dev] sift

From: Clem Cline
Subject: [ShopSuite-dev] sift
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 15:34:19 -0300

The German air power has been largely spent. What has Wells to set against the screaming little defective inBerlin?
The question is, Do yougenuinely accept that case?
They might almost equally well say that ifwe fight against Negroes we shall turn black. As to who will be in that governmentwhen it comes, I make no guess. It is time for THE PEOPLE to define their war-aims.
Between democracyand totalitarianism, says Mussolini, there can be no compromise. The only questionthat matters is where ones real sympathies will lie when the pinchcomes. We shall have to fight againstbribery, ignorance and snobbery.
We shall have to fight againstbribery, ignorance and snobbery.
The heirs of Nelson and of Cromwell are notin the House of Lords.
But do I mean that there will be no opposition? It will not be doctrinaire, nor even logical.
There was nothing that really touched the heart of the Englishpeople. The only approach to them is through their patriotism.
Treachery anddefeatism apart, Hitler CANNOT be a danger. The choice before us is not so much between victory and defeat asbetween revolution and apathy. No political programme is ever carried out inits entirety. For as soon as they have the power to secede the chief reasonsfor doing so will have disappeared. There are even three or fourdaily papers which would be prepared to give it a sympathetic hearing. Much of what Wells has imagined and worked for is physically there inNazi Germany. There are even three or fourdaily papers which would be prepared to give it a sympathetic hearing.
Our real forces,physical, moral or intellectual, cannot be mobilised. The Third Republic had more influence,intellectually, than the France of Napoleon III.
Nationalisation of land, mines, railways, banks and major industries.
Is it impossibly hopeful to think that such a policy as this could get afollowing in England?
But it is the necessary first stepwithout which any REAL reconstruction is impossible.
History as he sees it is a series ofvictories won by the scientific man over the romantic man.
He has, heaven knows, said so often enough.
These people are quiteindispensable, because they include most of the technical experts. There will always be anomalies and evasions. The question is, Do yougenuinely accept that case?
I do not supposethat either the bombs or the German campaign in Greece have altered hisopinion.