silpa-discuss

Re: [silpa-discuss] Possible new modules

From: Santhosh Thottingal
Subject: Re: [silpa-discuss] Possible new modules
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 16:54:56 +0530

On Friday, September 19, 2014, Hrishi <address@hidden> wrote:
Let's collect the possible module ideas, so that new/existing developers can start constructing them, this can also be used for the next year GSOC.

Coding or implementation is secondary here. Developing algorithms is the primary area to work on. And in my recent experience, I saw a bigger need for UX libraries/widgets/mixins that helps to achieve some modern experience with indic content. Following are some examples:

1. In CSS you might know about text-overflow: ellipsis; to wrap the text in a specific sized container. With English, you get "..." added at the end of the container with content cropped in a reasonable place. Have you  tried this with any Indian language? Currently the behavior is undefined. As you know, you cannot cut the text abrubtly in Indic text. I talked to Richard Ishida of w3c about this. He said somebody need to think about this and develop an algorithm, propose to w3c and then it becomes standard,browsers implement it.
2. Autocompletion is a common UX pattern in web now a days. By definition, it works in the writing direction- in single direction. You type something, rest is filled up. But, in our languages, as you type, the glyph rendering is not guranteed to happen the direction of typing. It creates ligatures to the previously typed characters. Causing this kind of behavior: http://i.imgur.com/IpK8neq.png - See dotted circles appearing

I agree with you that noting these down is the first step. Currently these kind of UX issue are reported as bugs in applications where there is usecases are present, but not as a requirement of general i18n problems to solve.

Santhosh