site-engine-dev

[site-engine-dev] Not dead...

From: MJ Ray
Subject: [site-engine-dev] Not dead...
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 12:31:02 +0000

Hi,

Things are busy here at luminas right now and so development on the visible
version of site-engine have slowed to a crawl, including features that I
know tsw really want.  If any tsw people want help to create and test
patches to add those features, please email me off list.

The good news is that luminas are developing an improved database connector
and web connector modules which will be passed back into the site-engine
code as soon as I get time.  There will then be a short delay while the code
resync's and we will get a working beta release.  That is the point when I
hope that the new PLT Scheme (v200, currently in alpha) will be ready for us
to move to, allowing site-engine to run more efficiently and on more
platforms than just GNU/Linux and FreeBSD.

Here's a question which I'd like your help to answer.  Most web interactions
seem to follow a process of the following:
  1. Display an initial input page;

  2. Perform some test on the submitted input;

  3. If there is a problem, display a page with notices of errors for
re-input to step 2;

  4. Perform some action with the submitted input;

  5. Display another page.

Multiple-page input processes can be modelled by that "another page" being
another initial input page.

Here's the quesion: What examples can you find which cannot fit this model?
Not just pages from site-engine, but from any web site which interacts with
the user.  Unusually silly prize for best example.

I think the site-engine alpha falls over so much because steps 2 and 3 are
missing ;-)

Thanks for your help,
--