sks-devel

[Sks-devel] Deleting or Higing of Keys

From: Olaf Gellert
Subject: [Sks-devel] Deleting or Higing of Keys
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 15:38:35 +0200

Hi all,

after some thinking (and some thoughts about privacy
and other issues of responsiblities of keyserver admins),
I want to rise the discussion again about removing keys
from the keyservers.

- Right now keyservers do publish any keys that get
  submitted to them. They distribute the keys among
  other keyservers.

- Keys may be published without the knowledge of the
  owner. They usually contain personal data (at least
  the email address of the owner).

- Keys may even contain worse. Keyservers do not really
  check the contents of the keys, so anyone may sent
  additional packets (not even constrained to his own
  key). I can imagine a little perl script adding some
  naughty images to every key on the keyserver... ;-)

- So I guess, what we do need is a means to remove keys
  from the keyservers. It may be sufficient to only hide
  them (which could prove to be much easier to implement
  with regard to the syncing mechanisms).

- How about other keyservers than SKS or HKP? There
  were some efforts spent on keyservers doing signature
  checks and other crypto stuff. Could prove to be
  helpful in some of these issues...

Some thoughts about this? How difficult would it be to
implement such a feature in SKS or other keyservers?
Ayn takers? (unfortunately I do not have a clue about
OCAML)...

Cheers, Olaf

--
Dipl.Inform. Olaf Gellert                  PRESECURE (R)
Senior Researcher,                       Consulting GmbH

                        A daily view on Internet Attacks
                        https://www.ecsirt.net/sensornet