sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Optimum number of gossip peers; mailsync with PKS networ

From: Jason Harris
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Optimum number of gossip peers; mailsync with PKS network
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 17:49:45 -0400

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 10:54:20PM +1100, Jonathan Oxer wrote:

> Also, now that SKS gossip is working I want to set up mailsync to the
> PKS network. The 2004 docs on the wiki said that permission should be
> requested before adding a PKS server to the mailsync file, but then says
> that address@hidden can be added without requesting
> permission.
>
> Is there more up-to-date information about PKS sync? What's the current
> best approach?

Note that the pks and SKS keyservers at kjsl.com have been down for
a while, but Javier will be copying that data back online for me
RealSoonNow(TM).  If you don't mind the bounces for a while longer,
please continue to keep address@hidden in
./mailsync on all SKS servers.  Remember that this helps propagate
keys between the two keyserver networks as quickly as possible.

BTW, if anyone has a shell account (SSH public key) or two (esp. on
FreeBSD 6.x) to spare, I would like to be able to keep the keyanalyze
reports and perhaps a pks instance backed up online via rsync from/to
kjsl.com.  If you're already running SKS on port 11371, I wouldn't
necessarily need pks running on port 21371 or mailsync, esp. if I
can start using your SKS keydumps (every other Sunday) to feed
keyanalyze.  The archived reports (and my other web content) are
.75GB now and add ~10MB every other week w/o individual reports.
(ZFS would be helpful for snapshots/rollback of the BerkeleyDB
database files and keydumps, versioning keyanalyze data, and
calculating/propagating updates to other ZFS users w/o allowing
global rsync.)

If anyone wants to start putting the keyanalyze data into a
database (to track individual reports and/or MSDs) and/or
subversion or mercurial repo. (for the "permanent" files),
that would also be welcome.

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 08:59:14AM -0400, Yaron Minsky wrote:

> I think the optimal thing would simply to have everyone in your peer list.
> I don't think you lose anything to that, but it's a pain to maintain.  I

This causes gossip attempts to be missed more frequently, unfortunately,
for example when trying to connect to keyserver.noreply.org to initiate.

--
Jason Harris           |  NIC:  JH329, PGP:  This _is_ PGP-signed, isn't it?
address@hidden _|_ web:  http://keyserver.kjsl.com/~jharris/