sks-devel

[Sks-devel] keyserver verification of revocation certificates (gpg --key

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor
Subject: [Sks-devel] keyserver verification of revocation certificates (gpg --keyserver-options include-revoked)
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 19:25:01 -0400

I was just reading gpg(1) and i noticed this section within
--keyserver-options:

> include-revoked
>                      When searching for a key with --search-keys, include keys
>                      that are marked on the keyserver as  revoked.  Note  that
>                      not  all  keyservers  differentiate  between  revoked and
>                      unrevoked keys, and for such keyservers  this  option  is
>                      meaningless.  Note  also that most keyservers do not have
>                      cryptographic verification of  key  revocations,  and  so
>                      turning  this option off may result in skipping keys that
>                      are incorrectly marked as revoked.

I'm particularly curious about the last sentence, as it suggests that a
basic cryptographic check ("was this revocation certificate produced by
that key?") is not present in most keyservers.

Is this true of SKS?  I haven't tested posting a falsified revocation
certificate yet (which i should probably test anyway), but i was curious
what the folks who know the code better than i do expect to happen were
such a certificate uploaded to an SKS keyserver.

Any thoughts?  Or is this note in gpg(1) out of date?

        --dkg