sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] IPv6 peering; keydumps annoyingly large

From: Matthew Palmer
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] IPv6 peering; keydumps annoyingly large
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 14:30:20 +1000

On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 08:05:23AM -0700, C.J. Adams-Collier wrote:
> We could implement references using IPv6 and BGP by mapping the last 48 bits
> of the fingerprint into an IP address.  We would need an ASN and a /32
> allocation from IANA to pull this off unless there is something like rfc1918
> space we could make use of.  It would be a mess of a routing table, and I'm
> not convinced Quagga could manage it effectively in less than a gigabyte of
> memory without some amount of work in the area of writing routes to
> permanent storage using bdb or something.  I don't know what kind of effect
> this would have on performance.

I'm not sure that having to run Quagga, a BGP feed, and having a spare GB of
RAM is going to be classed as *lowering* the bar for running a keyserver.

- Matt

--
Sure, it's possible to write C in an object-oriented way.  But, in practice,
getting an entire team to do that is like telling them to walk along a