sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Request for reporting of upstream bandwidth capacity

From: Robert J. Hansen
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Request for reporting of upstream bandwidth capacity
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 14:22:16 -0400

On 05/16/2012 01:12 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
> As upstream bandwidth capacity is one of the considerations that is
> taken into account in [0] I would appreciate if the server operators
> that have not already done so would kindly email me this information
> off list (My UIDs in 0x6b0b9508 can be used for this).

This is sort of a black art.  Depending on which online service is
providing the test, I've seen my upload and download speeds vary by more
than two orders of magnitude.  Further, since pretty much all cable ISPs
were at one point in league with the Devil before finally usurping
Lucifer's throne, I can't even rely on the vague promises made by their
tech support imps and balseraphs.

This isn't to say there's no point in what you're doing -- I think
there's a lot of merit to it! -- but if we all use a different service
we're going to introduce an awful lot of statistical noise.  Is there
any particular bandwidth capacity test that you would prefer we use?