sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] New Debian Binary Replacement

From: Kristian Fiskerstrand
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] New Debian Binary Replacement
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 22:43:14 +0200

On 2012-05-15 03:55, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> On 5/14/2012 9:41 PM, John Clizbe wrote:
>> I hereby inquire as to the availability of source code for your
>> release.

> I'm not one of these people who believes forks are evil and must
> be avoided.  Forks can foster wild creativity: look at, e.g., gcc
> => egcs. But just as egcs had the courtesy to stop calling
> themselves gcc (until such time as egcs became officially blessed
> by the gcc devs as the next release of gcc), this package needs to
> have the same courtesy.
>
> I believe that if source is published and the name of the package
> is changed, this will address pretty much all the concerns voiced
> by people on this list.
>
> So, my requests:
>
> 1.  Source code 2.  Change of name 3.  An end to all this useless
> squabbling

Hi,

I have started pondering on policy regarding a possible fork and its
criteria for inclusion in the main pool of sks-keyservers.net

Currently I have the following requirements:
 (i)    A forked project MUST use a separate name from SKS
 (ii)   The separate name MUST be identifiable in the status page of
the server under a Software heading *
 (iii)  The forked project SHOULD use its own versioning
 (iv)   The forked project SHOULD implement a SKS_recon compatibility
variable based on the branch of the official SKS it is merged from,
and that is transmitted as version in the recon process.

[*] As a starting point; This can be accomplished, e.g. by using the
patch from http://kfwebs.com/patch-sks-fork.patch

- --
- ----------------------------
Kristian Fiskerstrand
http://www.sumptuouscapital.com
Twitter: @krifisk
- ----------------------------
Corruptissima re publica plurimæ leges
The greater the degeneration of the republic, the more of its laws
This email was digitally signed using the OpenPGP
standard. If you want to read more about this
The book: Sending Emails - The Safe Way: An
introduction to OpenPGP security is now
available in both Amazon Kindle and Paperback
format at
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006RSG1S4/
Public PGP key 0xE3EDFAE3 at http://www.sumptuouscapital.com/pgp/