sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] backup and restore database

From: John Clizbe
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] backup and restore database
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 15:14:04 -0500

Rafael wrote:
> We have here a local SKS only for local users, how can I backup and restore
> all public keys from my server??

When I first read the subject I thought, "Why, unless it's for local use only?"

Backup --> sks dump

Restore/Creation --> sks build, followed by sks clean and sks pbuild.

'man sks' and 'sks help' should be enough guidance for 'sks dump'

If it is not too large of a database, you might find it easier to just tar up
the two DB directories after a bit of cleanup:

    cd /var/sks
    for DB in KDB PTree
      do
        db_recover    -h  $DB
        db_checkpoint -1h $DB
        db_archive    -dh $DB
    done
    tar cf sks-dbs.tar KDB PTree

My inner-sysadmin would do both for backup and prefer the tar ball for restore.

One other question as a SKS developer, other than for disaster recovery, why
do you think you need to backup/restore? It's not needed for upgrades of SKS
or Berkeley DB, so... why do it?

[Note: Please read the UPGRADING file in the source[0] (it should also be in
any distro pkg) BEFORE upgrading SKS and/or BDB. At the very least, you'll
save yourself some unneeded work.]

-John

[0] https://bitbucket.org/skskeyserver/sks-keyserver/src/3785eed0cdbf/UPGRADING
--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet: John (a) Gingerbear DAWT net
SKS/Enigmail/PGP-EKP                  or: John ( @ ) Enigmail DAWT net