sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Broken keyservers (413 Request Entity Too Large)

From: Arnold
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Broken keyservers (413 Request Entity Too Large)
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 23:41:58 +0200

On 04-09-14 22:26, David Benfell wrote:
> Even worse, then. I don't see this use as an abuse, but as legitimate.
> We should be able to accommodate it, even if it is an outlier.

You mean no limit at all? RFC 4880 has no limit, so a key of size 1+ Tbyte can
be
totally valid. It might even make sense to have such key for a certain purpose.
However, I see no reason why we should accommodate distribution of special
(large)
keys as a free community service. On average keys are only about 2 kbyte on
disk.

Idealistic, we should go for 100% of the keys and trust the good intentions of
the
people uploading keys. But, we all know there are people with bad intentions
too.

Practically, rejecting some keys seems reasonable to me. Especially if we can
prevent DOS and abuse of our servers that way. A large key might as well
contain a
collection of HD pictures of a certain kind.

Arnold