sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] spodhuis keyserver: status update

From: Kiss Gabor (Bitman)
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] spodhuis keyserver: status update
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 07:38:41 +0200 (CEST)

> > According to
> > https://sks-keyservers.net/status/ks-status.php?server=sks.spodhuis.org
> > you did not delete keys.niif.hu, however we are not peering since 2011.
>
> Oh?  What happened to trigger the removal on your side?

Dear Phil,

I really don't know.
The reason was not recorded but just the date.
I guess your server or the peering itself was inoperable for months.

> > Generally the "Cross-peered" column of the table shows that you have
> > only six real peers.
>
> That's buggy.  I _peer_ under the name `sks-peer.spodhuis.org` and
> always have done, and that's always been what I ask peers to put in
> their membership files: the serving name and the peering name are
> distinct, for reasons which I've outlined before.
>
> I've just sampled a few of those "Not OK" entries and they're all
> peering correctly with "sks-peer.spodhuis.org" but the status page is
> failing to handle that and reporting as "Not OK".
>
> This is a bug on Kristian's side.
> The peering itself works just fine.
>
> So in fact, six of my peers are incorrectly listing "sks.spodhuis.org"
> instead of "sks-peer.spodhuis.org" and as a result are showing up as
> "OK".

I see. Kristian's spider discovers the graph from node to node.
Probably it encountered name sks.spodhuis.org first.
This is why it does not like name sks-peer.spodhuis.org.

Maybe this phenomenon fobbed me in 2011 too. :-)

Regards

Gabor